Monday, October 13, 2008

More to blogging

My e-learning journey has been very interesting so far. The past 4 weeks in the course taught me many technologies related to teaching and learning. Learning to tag on delicious was fun and it made it easier to organize articles and navigate to my favorite sites in a jiffy.

The article in Week 4: The Art of Blogging, I find the part on uses for blogging very apt. Blogging has become so popular and so part of a daily lifestyle (for the bloggers) that it has become (from the article) a platform for all the following:
 Knowledge sharing and knowledge management
 Customer service
 Interactive journalism
 Communication
 Self-expression
 Learning
 Self-marketing
 Campaigning/social reform
 Community building
 Experience tracking
 Storytelling

Apart from that, advertisers are putting their ads on your blogs. For example Nuffnang, Asia’s First Blog Advertising Community. They place ads that are relevant to your blog sites. Say, if I am a food blogger and blog on good places to go to for the different types of food, I may have ads from Starbucks, Pizza Hut, etc and I will get paid for the number of hits my blog gets. Great way to advertise and earn money as well!

3 comments:

whitehairdoc said...

Hi Christine

Nuffnang may be the way to get students to be creative about their blogs but good guidelines need to be given to students. I find that students need clear guidelines to projects.

WhiteHairDoc

shaZZ said...

Commercial-wise, yes it's a good way to advertise. That's one of the reason why I use the blog service for my portfolio - to advertise.

But in terms of getting income/money, it's a long shot. Until today, I haven't found a proper guideline on how the income finally gets into my hands (I also use Google AdSense in one of my blogs). The process is still a blur; otherwise, I think everybody would've been millionaires by now. So do anyone knows exactly how the procedure is?

Anyway, our purpose is for education, and I don't think "promoting the blog as income generator" is a good idea for students, even if it makes them work on the assignments. The drawbacks are there - they might be so addicted (to blogging) that they would blame us if they flung other subjects [just thinking out loud :-S].

Wey Lim said...

Hmm.. I am agree with Shah. If you tell students about making money from blogs, they will forget about the academic purpose of the blog we want them to do.

However, if you are teaching marketing subject. This will be a practically good project.. :)

There will always have two sides in a coin :P

- GOOD or BAD -